Adaptogens are all the rage in health & wellness, but what’s so spectacular about a mushroom?
Our favorite adaptogen is the Djon Djon, a rare black mushroom found in northern Haiti. It is considered a delicacy because of the unique taste, color, and aroma it gives food.
The mushroom itself is not eaten but is instead turned into an extract with warm water and a blender. Extract from this rare mushroom gives any dish a rich black color and chocolate aroma. The mushroom is used in dishes that are served on special occasions such as birthdays, weddings, or Christmas in Haiti.
Gourmet chefs all over the world covet the Djon Djon. It is hand-picked from the crannies and crevices of dead wood and it only grows in Haiti during the rainy season, which lasts from August to October. Throughout the rest of the year and for the rest of the world, this wonderful mushroom is available in a dried or powdered form.
Those who can get their hands on Djon Djon extract often drink it as a natural energy booster. Djon Djon has a potent blend of Mushroom ash, Vitamin B2, B6, Vitamin A, Protein, Calcium, and minerals.
Djon Djon has proven to be useful in skincare, providing benefits both in and outside of the body.
Here are some of our favorite attributes:
- It’s Insanely Hydrating: Djon Djon contains a polysaccharide that is great for hydrating the skin
by drawing in moisture from the environment.
- Collagen Stimulating: Improves elasticity of the skin by stimulating collagen synthesis by dermal fibroblasts.
- Antioxidant: Rich in antioxidants which help the skin to fight off free radicals and repair damage that causes premature aging.
- Antimicrobial: Prevents acne breakouts by neutralizing irritating microbes.
- Anti-inflammatory: Inflammation and excessive free radical activity contribute to a
number of skin problems. Many mushrooms have been found to have anti-inflammatory
properties and as a result, their use promotes healing and fights inflammation.
- Rich in Vitamin D: Vitamin D is beneficial when applied to acne. Mushroom extracts can be a great
ingredient if you are struggling with skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, and acne.
- Anti-aging: Mushrooms enhance the natural defenses of the skin. Mushrooms can help
restore the skin elasticity, increase its moisture content, stimulate collagen synthesis, and
have a skin lightening effect. Due to all of this, with regular use, it would help your skin
look healthy and younger.
Sometimes we just need to turn back to the roots (in this case, literally) to benefit from hundreds of
years of knowledge and find products from nature to provide us potent anti-aging results. This
rare mushroom, found only in specific regions of Haiti, has quickly gained the trust of many
customers, who have incorporated our Djon Djon products in their daily skincare routine.