We recently conducted a skin study that showed an average of 70% of people with skin dehydration. It amazingly coincided with a study done in California
Yes, a recent study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology found that 80% of people tested with a skin analysis machine were dehydrated. The study, which was conducted by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, used a machine called the Visia to measure skin hydration levels. The Visia is a non-invasive device that uses light to assess skin health.
The study found that the average skin hydration level in the study participants was 45%. This is considered to be below the ideal range of 50-60%. The researchers found that dehydration was more common in women than men, and that it was also more common in people with darker skin.
The study’s findings suggest that dehydration is a more common problem than previously thought. This is important because dehydration can lead to a number of skin problems, including dryness, flaking, and itching. It can also make the skin more susceptible to damage from the sun and other environmental factors.
The health of our skin is closely linked to its hydration, since water is an essential element of its structure and cellular communication. In adults, skin contains on average 70% water, of which about 2/3 is present in the deep layers (the dermis), and almost 1/3 in the upper layer, called the stratum corneum, epidermis, which is the visible part of our skin.
DETERIORATION OF THE CORNEAL LAYER CAUSES DEHYDRATION
Water plays a crucial role in the hydration of our skin tissue by diffusing from the lower layer (the dermis) to the surface (the stratum corneum). This diffusion is regulated by a phenomenon of natural evaporation of the water contained in our body, called Insensible Water Loss (P.I.E). However, the stratum corneum is supposed to limit this phenomenon thanks to its hydrolipidic film.
What happens when this system is not working?
Here are some tips that really work
Dehydration is one of the problems that we have found also from our skin analysis machine
What are the symptoms of dehydrated skin?
When the skin of the face becomes dehydrated, it loses its radiance and can feel “tight” especially when you smile or move your face
Why does skin become dehydrated?
The skin becomes dehydrated when its hydrolipidic film, a major component of its barrier, is damaged. The acceleration of Trans epidermal Water Loss, from the dermis to the outside of the skin, becomes such that water reserves are depleted and dehydration sets in.
On the surface, there is no longer any “bulwark”, the stratum corneum becomes “permeable”.
What factors can dehydrate your skin?
Whether internal or external, dehydration factors all have one thing in common: they impact the stratum corneum or the hydrolipidic film.
What are the external factors that cause skin dehydration?
- Cold, wind, UV rays… because they accelerate trans epidermal water loss
- Pollution because it modifies the composition of the hydrolipidic film
- Heating or air conditioning because they dry out the outside air and increase trans epidermal water loss.
- Tobacco or alcohol that dehydrate the body
- Cosmetic products that are too aggressive (cleaners with too high a PH, cleaners with detergents)
What are the internal factors that cause skin dehydration?
– A dysfunction of certain constituent elements of the epidermis;
-Certain pathologies (such as eczema, etc.);
-Taking certain medications (for example certain anti-acne drugs, etc.)
– Skin aging
what to do about your dehydrated skin?
The first step is to minimize the external factors of dehydration
- Avoid soaps from cold saponification which are often very basic (pH too high for the skin)
- Install an air humidifier if you feel that the air is dry in your home (electric heating or air conditioning)
How to take care of dehydrated skin?
Thinking “hydration” for the skin is good. Because, contrary to what one might think, moisturizing your skin is not just about applying a cream in the morning. It is an entire ritual that you will have to put in place to pamper your skin.
- Cleanse (and remove makeup) your skin morning and evening. This is the first beauty step in any skincare routine to maintain luminous skin and preserve its balance https://www.morgannasalchemy.com/product/morgannas-brew-cleanser/
- A few pumps of a great serum with Hyaluronic acid https://www.morgannasalchemy.com/product/morgannas-glow/ after cleansing will help fight against irritation
- For intense, lasting, and targeted hydration: https://www.morgannasalchemy.com/product/morgannas-bellatox/
- Apply an anti-aging cream that is https://www.morgannasalchemy.com/product/morgannas-elixir/ all-in-one formulation suitable for all skin types.
Anti-aging gels and serum allow you to you to moisturize and hydrate your skin in the morning or evening and even on the eye contour whenever you want… All with an gel texture that go deep into the skin to quench it without leaving a greasy film, whatever your skin type…
Morganna’s Alchemy carries “all-in-one” products and are perfectly suited for those who want to reduce the number of their products in their bathroom… or in their toilet bag when they go on a trip!