What is Djon Djon?
Djon Djon is the name for a type of edible black mushroom, found in northern Haiti. It is considered a delicacy, because it supposedly gives the dish they are used in an „excuisite color, taste and aroma“. But in fact, the mushroom itself is not eaten, rather an extract is made with warm water, then blended and strained.
Extract from the mushroom gives any dish a black color, which definitely makes any food it is used in special. The mushroom is used in dishes that are served on special occasions such as birthdays, weddings or on Christmas in Haiti.
Haitian mushrooms foragers and gourmet chefs all over the world covet the Djon Djon, as it is rather rare and only found in specific parts of Haiti. It is hand-picked from the crannies and crevices of dead wood and it only grows on Haiti during the rainy season, which lasts from August to October. Throughout the rest of the year and for the rest of the world, this wonderful mushroom is available in a dried or powdered form.
Other benefits of Djon Djon
Many times people will drink the Djon-djon water as an energy booster and it is believed to help with many ailments. In fact, the water that is released from this one of a kind mushroom is a potent blend of mushroom ash, Vitamin B2, B6, Vitamin A, Proteins, Calcium and minerals.
By the way, the mushroom, when soaked, turns the water black and gives it an earthy smell.
Why are we talking about Djon Djon in a cosmetics brand blog?
It’s actually quite simple – we have discovered many benefits of the Djon Djon on our skin. This is why we have developed powerful products with Djon Djon that will help your skin get back the healthy young glow by hydrating, protecting and rejuvenating it.
Here are some more potential benefits of the Djon Djon mushroom:
- Hydrating: some mushrooms contain a polysaccharide that is great at hydrating the skin by drawing moisture to the skin, just like hyaluronic acid.
- Collagen stimulating: stimulate collagen synthesis by dermal fibroblasts
- Improves the elasticity of the skin
- Antioxidant: Some mushrooms hold high antioxidant potential and can help fight free radicals which helps to strengthen the skin’s barrier.
- Anti inflammatory: Inflammation and excessive free radical activity contributes to a number of skin problems. Many mushrooms have been found to have anti-inflammatory properties; as a result, their use promotes healing and fights inflammation. Not only do some mushrooms hold anti-inflammatory potential, but mushrooms are high in Vitamin D, which can be beneficial when applied to acne. Mushroom extracts can be a great ingredient if you are struggling with skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, and acne.
- Anti-aging: Mushrooms enhance the natural defenses of the skin. Mushrooms can help restore the skin elasticity, increase its moisture content, stimulate collagen synthesis and have a skin lightening effect. Due to all of this, with regular use, it would help Your skin look healthy and younger.
Sometimes we just need to turn back to the roots (in this case literally) to benefit from hundreds of years of knowledge and find products from the nature to provide us potent anti-aging results. This rare mushroom, found only in specific regions of Haiti, has quickly gained the trust of many customers, who have included our Djon Djon products to their daily skin care routine.