The area around the eye is very fragile.
- It is 3 to 5 times thinner than the rest of the face, and not very resistant.
- It can be extremely stressed – We blink around with our eyes around 10,000 times every day!
- It is very poor in sebaceous glands, therefore, poorly protected against dehydration.
- It has many blood vessels, venous and lymphatic circulation that can sometimes become a little lazy.
- The result is the accumulation of pigments and toxins which appear transparently through a very thin epidermis. These are dark circles, which can be accompanied by swelling and puffiness.
Why is the face cream not enough?
To respond to the peculiarities of the eye contour area, the skin care cream must also have specific properties:
- Be featherweight and non-greasy texture so as not to weigh,
- A “non-migrating” formulation to prevent progression in direction of the eye by capillarity,
- The absence of strong active ingredients such as vitamin C or fruit acids for example … and of course a good ophthalmic tolerance.
- If you look closely at the instructions for your facials, toners or masks, you often see the words: “avoid the eye area” you now have the explanation.
Conversely, the eye contour cream must be particularly moisturizing, astringent to tighten the tissues, it must help to absorb edema, drain and boost circulation. Vitamin B5 is extremely well known for this.
After a certain age, we loose almost 50% of collagen and hyaluronic acid, we would recomment to start taking a good amount of supplements as well. There are many good Hyaluronic acid and collagen supplements that will do an amazing job. THis is the one I use
So how do you pick out an eye cream or gel?
- If you have fine fine lines that are appearing under the lower eyelid, at the corner of the eye? Priorityze hydration and cellular strengthening: https://www.morgannasalchemy.com/product/blackgold-djondjon-eye-gel-dark-circles-and-puffyness/ for their lifting, softening and preserving effects of skin elasticity.
- If you have dark circles, bags tire the eyes? Priority to drainage, stimulation of microcirculation. https://www.morgannasalchemy.com/product/mesmer-eyes/ It calms and soothes dark circles, gives a fresher and rested look.